Git is the most popular version control system for software development. It allows developers to collaborate and track changes in their codebase. In this blog post, we will discuss how to install Git on Windows 10. Learn How to Install Git on Windows?
How to Install Git on Windows?
- The first step is to download the latest version of Git from the official website https://git-scm.com/downloads. Once you have downloaded the installer, double click it and follow the installation process as shown in the screenshots below.
- The first page is a welcome page where you can select whether or not you want to receive notifications about new versions of git and other related products. We recommend selecting “Check for updates but let me decide whether to install them”. Click Next after making your selection.
- On the next page, select “Use Git from the Windows Command Prompt” if you plan on using git from the command line or “Use Git and optional Unix tools from the Windows Command Prompt” if you plan on using git with other Unix tools like grep or awk. Click Next after making your selection.
- On the next page, select “Checkout Windows-style” and “Commit Unix-style line endings” if you are working with a team that has both Windows and Linux users or just select “Checkout as-is, commit Unix-style line endings” if everyone in your team is on Linux/Unix systems. Click Next after making your selection.
- On the next page, leave everything as default and click Next until you reach the last page of installation wizard where you should click Install button to complete installation process. After completing installation process successfully, open Command Prompt (CMD) by pressing Win+R keys together and type CMD then press enter key to open command prompt window. Then type git –version command which should print installed git version number like `git version 2.21`. This confirms successful installation of git on windows 10 machine!
Installing Git on Windows is an easy task that can be done in just a few steps outlined above! With it installed, developers now have access to powerful tools for collaboration, tracking changes in codebase, etc., all from within one application – Git! So don’t wait any longer – go ahead and get started with installing Git today!